forum

[Archived] Fps drops after some time of playing

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
karlabos
Problem Details:
Hello

Whenever I start playing osu! it runs normally am I'm able to play at a decent framerate for a while
however after some time of gameplay (it varies, but I'd say after an hour or so) the game stars being laggy and the fps drops. I can go to maps I was playing just a while ago and the framerate will still be bad.
The problem sometimes will go away if I restart osu! Sometimes not...

I don't think it's anything to do with the configuration or my computer's limits because if it was the problem would happen right after I started osu! and would not wait for an hour to occurr?

Anyone else experiencing this problem? What could it be?

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
I don't think it's necessary a video for this? If it's so I'm gonna try making one. Namely just pick a video of threads where the OP says his game is laggy. It's the same symptom. Except that it only happens after about an hour of playing.

osu! version: 20150305 (latest)
Yeah, I reinstalled it yesterday. The problem persists.
Kyonko Hizara
Download speccy and post a screenshot of your specs. If I can see your specs I might have a better idea what your problem is.
Topic Starter
karlabos
Huh.. Forgive my noobiness I'm not used to those things
That was what I'm supposed to do, right?
Wingman626

karlabos wrote:

you have a windows 8.1 computer (eww)

but im actually more suprised about the Pentium processor with integrated "Intel HD graphics"

Christ, talk about "old". i didn't know they were still throwing out upgraded versions of the pentium processor. but it looks like the GPU combo wasnt so lucky

your running the low version of the "Intel hd graphics" series. my laptop is currently running the "Intel hd graphics 3000" gpu and current computers to this day have versions that are higher then the '4000' series (4000 doesnt compare to the 3000 in my opinion). but that is the result of the gpu being combined with later CPU's like the i3s through i5's.

but still, even my newer version GPU still cannot push osu with everything enabled. the extra 'eye candy' like shaders and lighting effects ETC. get the better of it, and i still end up with FPS drops.

I'm pretty sure most of the osu options in the graphics section are not supported by your system or have a hard time running them at all. if you can upload a screenshot of your current graphics settings and a video showing game play, that would be great.

have you tried setting your graphics settings to the lowest possible? i know it sucks not having the extra 'eye candy', but with that gpu, it would be best.

also, if it is already set to the lowest or you just did and nothing happened, you can try lowering your resolution a bit.

(UPDATE = extra questions::)

how old is your computer / how long have you had it for?

it says your running windows 8.1 === im thinking that you upgraded your OS
there are some issues that users have been reporting with 8.1 like mouses with 1000hz polling rates showing noticable cursor lag in game
Kyonko Hizara
One thing I suspect it could be is that since you have such little RAM, you might have too many processes running, and as you have osu! running it is taking up too much of the available RAM and is causing lag from that. Try closing any unnecessary processes.

Also it could be an issue with your GPU. Intel integrated graphics are usually not too good. Try setting your FPS in osu! to being 60. I had a laptop with lower specs and that is what I had to do to get osu! to run without lagging hard.
Kurokami
What?! Please, I have the exact same setup (except this is an Acer laptop) and osu! is running with 240 fps for days. This has nothing to do with that computer nor with win 8.1. The Cpu is Quadcore not just Intel Pentium, speccy is wrong here.

I think it is the problem with your video card driver. I'm not sure if you updated it but try to downgrade or upgrade to the one on the disk (what came with your computer), that one is optimalized and should work.
Wingman626

Kurokami wrote:

I think it is the problem with your video card driver. I'm not sure if you updated it but try to downgrade or upgrade to the one on the disk (what came with your computer), that one is optimalized and should work.
well...

wingman626 wrote:

i didn't know they were still throwing out upgraded versions of the pentium processor. but it looks like the GPU combo wasnt so lucky
your right of course. but if your running the same setup with no issues, than perhaps this is a GPU driver issue like you mentioned

quick question though.
i would like to ask what your computer is? does your computer (with penitum cpu and same gpu as OP) run on low settings or can you push it for the 'eye candy'?

im curious to know how the first versions of the GPU can perform compared to the newer versions like mine. i have checked reviews and comparison numbers, and they all mention better quality graphics and higher framerates the higher version of GPU you go.
VeilStar
Mostly Offtopic

wingman626 wrote:

i didn't know they were still throwing out upgraded versions of the pentium processor.
Pentium line-up still going strong.

wingman626 wrote:

but it looks like the GPU combo wasnt so lucky
Low power, low heat mobile devices. What do you expect?

wingman626 wrote:

Given that this specific CPU launched only a year ago, it can't be old.

Anyhow,... Here's my thoughts;

karlabos wrote:

Problem Details:
Whenever I start playing osu! it runs normally am I'm able to play at a decent framerate for a while
however after some time of gameplay (it varies, but I'd say after an hour or so) the game stars being laggy and the fps drops. I can go to maps I was playing just a while ago and the framerate will still be bad.
The problem sometimes will go away if I restart osu! Sometimes not...
This leads me to believe your PC is thermal thorttling.

Basically what thermal throttling is, is that your hardware purposely starts running slower because it's getting very hot.
It does this to preserve its lifespan and potential damage.
Your hardware turning itself to a slower speed will obviously cause decreased performance. Which could explain the issue you're facing.

That said, you could monitor your CPU/GPU temperatures and clockspeeds while you're playing (for hours)
and see if it does what I described above.
If it is thermal throttling there's not a whole lot you can do.
Cleaning the dust out of your PC and capping your framerate to a lower limit is about it.

I could be wrong though. Mind giving some 'numbers' so we could get an idea?
Also I assumed the issue is just your framerate lowering to a really low amount the longer you play osu!.
If this isn't the case and it's actual framedrops it might be something else. So try what others have posted aswell.
Wingman626
some stuff

VeilStar wrote:

Pentium line-up still going strong.
no doubt, it was and still is a great processor

Veilstar wrote:

wingman626 wrote:

but it looks like the GPU combo wasnt so lucky
Low power, low heat mobile devices. What do you expect?
well, of course. not meant for gaming though, can't really push that much is what i was trying to say, hehe :lol:

Veilstar wrote:

wingman626 wrote:

Given that this specific CPU launched only a year ago, it can't be old.
well, i now see that it is not old, since google searches turn up modern computers with this setup, but i just wanted to find out if this was a problem ever since he got the computer and started gaming with it. i will edit my earlier posts

Veilstar wrote:

Basically what thermal throttling is, is that your hardware purposely starts running slower because it's getting very hot.
It does this to preserve its lifespan and potential damage.
Your hardware turning itself to a slower speed will obviously cause decreased performance. Which could explain the issue you're facing. ... -

... - If it is thermal throttling there's not a whole lot you can do.
Cleaning the dust out of your PC and capping your framerate to a lower limit is about it.
just throwing this out there::

you can refer to one of my earlier posts at t/314473

at my "long instructions incoming" section, it details a lot of things you can try like cleaning your computer for dust, making sure to not have too many background programs running, keeping your computer in a clean and well ventilated area, and also updating things regularly.
Fatal3ty
Disable slider animation should help a lot. Did my old laptop did a lot. And no other application such as Skype or browser can run in the background that has wiggled me everywhere. :)
Kurokami

wingman626 wrote:

quick question though.
i would like to ask what your computer is? does your computer (with penitum cpu and same gpu as OP) run on low settings or can you push it for the 'eye candy'?

im curious to know how the first versions of the GPU can perform compared to the newer versions like mine. i have checked reviews and comparison numbers, and they all mention better quality graphics and higher framerates the higher version of GPU you go.
I don't even tried to turn that off. lol It runs just fine with it.

In osu! I must not turn Softening Filter on but everything else runs just fine. My only bad experience with this card (which is why I want to upgrade it as soon as I found out its possible or not) is the bad 3D handling. Newer games like FFXIV runs a bit slowly with it (40-50fps).
Wingman626

Kurokami wrote:

My only bad experience with this card (which is why I want to upgrade it as soon as I found out its possible or not) is the bad 3D handling. Newer games like FFXIV runs a bit slowly with it (40-50fps).

Kurokami wrote:

I have the exact same setup (except this is an Acer laptop)

it is a laptop, your "stuck like chuck", (is what i like to say)

the Intel® Pentium® Processor N3530 utilizes the FCBGA1170 socket (hell, its not even a socket)

so that means, in which im sorry to say, the CPU/GPU combo is soldered to the motherboard (that is what the BGA in the socket description stands for). theres no way of "upgrading" unless you get a new computer.

sorry
Kurokami
I can't say "there is no way" just makes it really hard. Anyway, even if I can't play with games like FF (which isn't even optimalized to computers), osu! should run just fine on the same setup what is in the op. The only possible solutions are driver upgrade (downgrade) or cleaning the dust.
Riosan
I've got the same problem.
I start playing with 1k+ fps. After 30 Minutes the max fps drops to ~500.
After 45 Minutes to ~250 and after 1 hour of gaming it stops dropping at about 130 fps.

My setup is:
Reso: 1920 x 1080 @144 hz
CPU: i5 2500k @4 ghz
GPU: 970 gtx
Ram: 8 GB

And osu! is on a SSD. 130 fps is not really playable on my monitor it's really annoying as soon as I reach that fps.
I'm playing on Open GL tho. Gonna test if the same happens on Direct X

Edit: The same is happening in Direct X mode
LoGo
For me there are no fps drops after some time but osu performance drops a lot, just trying to open some map in editor will take 10x more time with black screen than when i just started it.
abraker
This problem again... I'm starting to loose count of all the FPS drop threads being made recently.

At this point it can be:

• 1)
    Download speedfan and post the screenshot of your GPU and CPU temperature after the lag started to verfy.

2) Some programs are taking up resources
    See instructions outlined in the last post here

3) Osu! legitimately goes into a laggy state due to some kind of loop in the code
    Will have to take the dev's word for it that this is not the case.
Kurokami
This happens because of the stupid Triangles. It has nothing to do with the GPU and CPU temperature, stop suggesting that. The only possible way to solve this, switch to either Stable or Beta built where there are no triangles.

And pointing out problem like this is no use since peppy is aware of the probles with triangles yet he enabled it. Seriously, just switch to the mentioned built and if you still experiencing problems then it with your setup not else.
abraker
Wasn't there an option to turn on/off the triangles?

Some thing along the line, "Triangles. You know you want them."
Kurokami
Nope, thats only turn them off at the title screen not when you change screens. And the ones causing the problems are during the screen change, like enter-leave song selection. Doing that a few times cause fps drops and eventually it took minutes to enter anywhere.
VeilStar
Triangles do indeed cause decreased performance after a while. Devs are aware of this. (Or at the very least some are.)
Anyhow, switch to stable if they're the issue. Cutting-edge is cutting-edge. It's not going to be optimal/stable.

OP is on stable and still hasn't replied though.
TheVileOne
Triangle performance issue is fixed.