forum

[confirmed] Cannot scroll to see off-screen text [chat]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Destroy2777
Problem Details:

(This will be a bit tricky to explain without video, but please bear with me here:)

I have continually seen peculiar behavior in the in-game chat interface whenever a line of text extends beyond what the input bar can visually hold. (That is, the input bar at the bottom of the screen simply doesn't have enough space to show everything that has been input by the player before the player sends it to chat.) Whenever this happens, naturally, that message is shifted over, with some text becoming hidden beyond the left boundary of the input bar, so that the player can continue entering the message.

However, whenever a long message like this is made, some various problems can be seen.

The most notable is that it becomes impossible to visually scroll back to the previous text. The word visually is key: while the person attempting to scroll back to previous text does not see the previous text, the input marker (the bar noting where text the player inputs will be placed in the line) seems to be stuck at the left boundary of the input bar, no matter how long the player holds left. However, the input bar really is moving - the player can place input in the chat message, even if the actual placement of said text cannot be seen. The player truly is moving the input marker to the previous text - the player just cannot see to where it moves.

There is also strange behavior if, while the player has the input marker (in functional, not visual, terms) in the text the player cannot see and attempts to erase text. This, visually, seems as though the first two or three visible letters are being deleted, and then shortly later, recreated, and possibly deleted again. (This, however, also functions properly, as it does delete text, and eventually, the chat message can reach a point where it will all fit on a single input bar.)

(Aside: changing resolutions had no effect on this bug. Though I could see more of the chat bar just due to the resolution itself, I still could not scroll back to text once it had gone behind the left boundary.)

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

This screenshot involves a line of text too big for the input bar to fully contain (namely, the message in chat submitted at 21:44). Upon retrieving this text via up and down arrows, I held the left arrow for approximately five seconds in an attempt to reach the text off-screen. I cannot say for sure what position the input marker actually reached - for all that is known, it reached the place in the chat line before the first character input. However, what I actually SAW was the input marker here (it's a tad faint - look at the very far left of the chat input bar):

I reiterate that, without tools to record video, providing evidence for this bug is bothersome - please explore this for yourself and see if you can replicate anything I have described.

osu! version: 20150414.2 (latest)
abraker
I was sure the was a thread concerning the chat somewhere...

I can confirm. The view of a text in the chat that is too large to be displayed on screen will not shift when the text cursor moves to the left screen border. The home button produces the same result.

Also when the highlighting for the described text has moved off-screen, the highlight is shifted one character to the left.

Another thing, when adding characters to a string of text, the more massive the string is, the higher is the FPS drop. Really strikes me interesting. So the entire string gets shifted to the left instead of staying in the same position? Does it render off-screen??? That FPS drop shouldn't be happening unless, well, optimizations were never made.
Wingman626
i can confirm this as well

the way i got around it was that i would write until my words were about to pass the right-most edge of my screen, and i would hit enter and continue typing to input the last of the original sentence.

though it was annoying at times, i never had to type too many long paragraphs, so this wasn't as much of a big deal to me.

this seems like a visual limitation to me. maybe the coding visually scrolls along to follow the insert cursor but doesn't allow scrolling back to view previously entered characters.

----------------------

also to note
whenever I'm trying to type a long message or if i receive a long message; if it is way too long, the message is cut half-way with a message saying

""... (message truncated)""

i find this very annoying most times when i have to tell the person to write their message again or when i have to re-type what i wrote since i can't see it.

is there an option for this? or is this a chat issue as well?
VeilStar
Happens to me regularly, I can confirm.

abraker wrote:

I was sure the was a thread concerning the chat somewhere...
Can't find anything like this, so I assume it's not a duplicate.

wingman626 wrote:

whenever I'm trying to type a long message or if i receive a long message; if it is way too long, the message is cut half-way with a message saying

""... (message truncated)""

i find this very annoying most times when i have to tell the person to write their message again or when i have to re-type what i wrote since i can't see it.

is there an option for this? or is this a chat issue as well?
This is because there's a limit on the character count per message. If I recall correctly that limit is 400 characters.
When sending a message longer than that trough an IRC client bancho will split the message up into multiple parts.
But if it's send in-game it will cut off the bit that exceeds the length.

Edit: moving this to Low Priority.