forum

[Archived] Osu Studders / Lags throughout playing songs

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Runes
Problem Details:
Only while playing a song does my osu lag. Listening to it in the menu never lags. It happens at random times and on random songs. It also happens online or offline. The lag is short but just long enough to screw up notes. The lag happens on almost every song and it seems to also happen in Auto mode. I also notice that when it lags my FPS drops dramatically for the duration. Having the FPS cap set to 120, 240 or unlimited doesn't seem to help and switching between OpenGL and DirectX doesn't either. I've been playing for around 2 years and this problem only started happening a few months ago. Also i tried loading osu with only a few beatmaps but nothing changed. Also with a little testing it seems to happen more on songs with videos.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

osu! version: 20141122 (latest)
VeilStar
Check your CPU & GPU loads and temperatures while you're playing? (Monitor them with the Task Manager & MSI Afterburner.)

Either there's a background process that suddenly takes up a big chunk of the processing power available,
causing osu! to get framedrops.

In this case turn off programs that could cause that and set the priority of the osu.exe process (in the task manager) to high.

Or perhaps it's thermal throttling.
(Above a certain temperature your hardware will underclock itself to preserve its lifetime and not overheat).

In this case clean the dust out of your PC.

Also, for good measure, update your graphics drivers & sound drivers.

If all of that still doesn't resolve it then please provide a benchmarking run with fraps
and screenshots of your hardware temperature and usage levels.
Topic Starter
Runes
Highest Temps i pull while playing osu: http://puu.sh/dseYn/0b4935c5f7.png

Benchmark: 2014-12-12 19:17:24 - osu!
Frames: 10518 - Time: 88078ms - Avg: 119.417 - Min: 97 - Max: 125

CPU and Memory Usage: http://puu.sh/dsgQm/5e43de4b4b.png
VeilStar
That didn't include any GPU temps/usage and frametimes, but assuming that those are fine...
Is it possible that osu! is trying to re-sync the sound and the beatmap for whatever reason?
Topic Starter
Runes
I see no reason to why the sound would be trying to re-sync its self, Especially not randomly after playing the game for over a year.
VeilStar

Runeslielo wrote:

I see no reason to why the sound would be trying to re-sync its self, Especially not randomly after playing the game for over a year.
Well, it normally doesn't happen, but sometimes it's possible for the song to start playing while the beatmap isn't 'ready to go' yet.
(Happens to me sometimes when i start a map, quit, and start it again quickly.)
In this case the song and beatmap are off-sync so osu! will try to sync them again.

While i'm by no means an export on this topic, if, for whatever reason (memory/hdd suddenly slowing down for example)
the map data takes longer to load than expected, this can happen.

Anyway, just going to copy paste this here as I can't say much of anything else.

VeilStar wrote:

No Idea what it actually is but for now here's a checklist;
  • -Make sure youre on DirectX
    -Disable Aero (eg use a basic theme)
    -Set the priority of the osu!.exe process to high in the task manager
    -Make sure performance settings are set to performance.
    -Update/Roll back your GPU drivers
    -Make sure there are no background processes suddenly kicking in
Also try what I suggested here;
  • Could you run a benchmark while playing with Fraps? (Free trail version should be fine.)
    Monitor the FPS, frametimes & min/max/avg and upload the result to zippyshare
    (or any other file hosting service for that matter) so we can have a look at it.

Also having a screenshot of your GPU usage from MSI Afterburner while you're playing would be handy.

Should be able to determine exacly what happens with that information.

Anyway... Does this happen in every game or just osu!?

Bottom line basically is:
Seeing what your GPU & CPU usage levels are like, together with a fraps benchmark of when the frame skip happens
should get us alot further than randomly suggesting things.