forum

[Archived] Frame Lag

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
lilelf29
Problem Details:
At the start of a song I always get 5-10 second of frame lag.
This becomes a pain in the ass trying to FC songs as 1/2 of the time I'll fail in the first 10 seconds due to this lag.
Are there any fixes?

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
I can't video the problem as my computer would lag even more if I ran a recording program would unfairly portray the problem.

osu! version: 20141015.1 (latest)
Pawsu
change your renders in options, DirectX to OpenGL or the other way around, then try to cap your fps or set it to unlimited.
Topic Starter
lilelf29

CanadianPaws wrote:

change your renders in options, DirectX to OpenGL or the other way around, then try to cap your fps or set it to unlimited.
I just changed it from DirectX to OpenGL and now it's even worse than before.
VeilStar
PC specifications?
What do the numbers look like? (When you get frame lag at the start of a map and when it runs smoothly/)
When did this issue start?
Also what does your GPU & CPU usage look like when this happens? (Test this with MSI Afterburner.)
What if you pauze the song right before the 1st note and then upauze a bit later?
More information please, As it stands right now It's like trying to find a needle in a haystack.
Topic Starter
lilelf29

VeilStar wrote:

PC specifications?
What do the numbers look like? (When you get frame lag at the start of a map and when it runs smoothly/)
When did this issue start?
Also what does your GPU & CPU usage look like when this happens? (Test this with MSI Afterburner.)
What if you pauze the song right before the 1st note and then upauze a bit later?
More information please, As it stands right now It's like trying to find a needle in a haystack.
I have an i7-2670QM CPU and a nVidia 570 gtx.
With osu! open and playing the CPU is at 18%-22% and GPU at ~ 30%.
It started when I started playing again 11/12 days ago - I haven't played in 8 months and back then I never had such an Issue.
If I pause the song for a little while and then resume (I tested this yesterday) it has no effect and will lag at the start oblivious.
Oh and I don't know what you mean by "numbers" ^.^
VeilStar

lilelf29 wrote:

Framerate numbers.
When playing you get about 500fps. When you get framelag on it would drop down to about say 90fps. For example.

lilelf29 wrote:

GTX 570m I guess that would be.

lilelf29 wrote:

And what happens to the usage levels when the lag kicks in? Does one of them spike up? Or does it drop down? Or does something happen to both?

lilelf29 wrote:

It started when I started playing again 11/12 days ago - I haven't played in 8 months and back then I never had such an Issue.
If I pause the song for a little while and then resume (I tested this yesterday) it has no effect and will lag at the start oblivious.
Allright. Well, a few things I can say;
-Make sure the power balancing is set to maximum performance in both windows and your nvidia control panel.
-Set a "performance" preference in your nvidia control panel (potetially more framerate and less input lag).
-Make sure your temperatures are fine (ie it's not overheating).
(Though this shouldn't be an issue as the lagspikes are obviously not causes by thermal throttling.)
-Use DirectX as renderer with unlimiated framerate, preferrably.

I doubt any of that will make a difference though as it all points towards a software issue from what I can tell.
So yeah, additionally you could try to either update or downgrade your GPU drivers.
Also disable any on-screen overlays (such as FPS counters or temperature monitoring) if applicable.
You could also try setting the priority of the osu.exe process in the task manager to "high" (right click -> set priority)
Also, does this happen on both cutting edge & stable release streams?
Also try windowed mode or fullscreen mode (depending on which one you currently use).
You could even go as far as trying a non-aero windows theme.

TL;DR - Seems really random. Listed a bunch of stuff you could try and see if any of it makes a difference,
though I doubt it will.
Pretty clueless as to what it could be and how to fix it. Likely a software issue,
as if the GPU has trouble drawing the hitcircles and other objects when playing for a bit, and then finally 'catches up'.
Topic Starter
lilelf29

VeilStar wrote:

lilelf29 wrote:

Framerate numbers.
When playing you get about 500fps. When you get framelag on it would drop down to about say 90fps. For example.

lilelf29 wrote:

lilelf29 wrote:

And what happens to the usage levels when the lag kicks in? Does one of them spike up? Or does it drop down? Or does something happen to both?

lilelf29 wrote:

-Make sure the power balancing is set to maximum performance in both windows and your nvidia control panel.
-Set a "performance" preference in your nvidia control panel (potetially more framerate and less input lag).
(Though this shouldn't be an issue as the lagspikes are obviously not causes by thermal throttling.)

I doubt any of that will make a difference though as it all points towards a software issue from what I can tell.
So yeah, additionally you could try to either update or downgrade your GPU drivers.
Also disable any on-screen overlays (such as FPS counters or temperature monitoring) if applicable.
You could also try setting the priority of the osu.exe process in the task manager to "high" (right click -> set priority)
Also try windowed mode or fullscreen mode (depending on which one you currently use).

TL;DR - Seems really random. Listed a bunch of stuff you could try and see if any of it makes a difference,
though I doubt it will.
Pretty clueless as to what it could be and how to fix it. Likely a software issue,
as if the GPU has trouble drawing the hitcircles and other objects when playing for a bit, and then finally 'catches up'.
Thanks for all the help man I appreciate it, I'll get back to you once I've finally tried most of them xD
Topic Starter
lilelf29

VeilStar wrote:

lilelf29 wrote:

Framerate numbers.

lilelf29 wrote:

lilelf29 wrote:

lilelf29 wrote:

though I doubt it will.
I just tested a load of shit and as it turns out nothing logical would fix the problem.
About a day later I decided to play a bit and saw a sick skin that I had to try and BOOM.
Lag gone, all problems fixed (well 99% of the time which is good enough).
Turns out it was just my gpu had some problem rendering the skin for whatever reason Q.Q
Anyway thank you for your input, your helpfulness was greatly appreciated.