forum

[Archived] Osu Windows 8 issues.. again...

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
KittensScythe
Problem Details:
I have had this problem before but not as bad. It starter recently, I would say 2 weeks ago. I started osu like every day and when I was on the menu my laptop froze for some reason, even if I made it to a song it would freeze randomly. I have no clue what the issue would be, I lowered the resolution and capped to 60fps(vsync) and did not seem to have any issues except the fps was noticeable. I decided to up the fps to 100 and froze on options, even tried changing directx to opengl.
I hope there is a permanent solution for this :/
A fresh windows 8 install might help or upgrading to 8.1(I do not want to lose files/registrys) (also I hate windows 8)
Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
I can't really screenshot or video when frozen....

osu! version: 20141012.4 (latest)
King_Midas
I'm running windows 8.1 and never had a problem like yours, also I don't recall facing the issues you are describing when I had win 8. I'm also able to play at 60(vsync) all the way up to 240fps without issues using directx.

With this in mind I don't think it is a windows 8 problem, likely to be something else.
Mofu kun
I say this almost every time someone has a problem with performance

Try updating your graphics drivers
Topic Starter
KittensScythe

MoF10 wrote:

I did this before posting. I did make a post about this in the past, so don't go thinking I haven't tried a lot of things to fix it :/
drum drum

RedFireXBladeX wrote:

MoF10 wrote:

I did this before posting. I did make a post about this in the past, so don't go thinking I haven't tried a lot of things to fix it :/
Please post computer specs
Topic Starter
KittensScythe
Graphics card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 670m
Cpu: Intel(R) Core(Tm) i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
Memory 8192MB Ram
Operating system: Windows 8 pro 64-bit(6.2, Build 9200)

Hope I did not forget anything.
drum drum
Do you have a high CPU usage on your computer around the time the crashes happen?
VeilStar
Sounds like overheating/thermal throttling to me.
The higher the framerate the harder your hardware is running, and the hotter it gets.
Vsync probably keeps it right below it's thermal threshold so that it doesn't overheat (or whatever actually happens).

Could you run a monitoring tool such as MSI Afterburner and run osu! at the same time to see what happens with the temperatures and clockspeeds?
That should, if nothing else, tell us if the issue is heat or not.
If it is cap your framerate and clean out your laptop (physically). Living in Australia sure doesn't help I'm afraid.(It's hot as hell there.)

Either way, it doesn't sound like an OS issue at all to me. Might be, but unlikely imo.
Topic Starter
KittensScythe

VeilStar wrote:

Sounds like overheating/thermal throttling to me.
The higher the framerate the harder your hardware is running, and the hotter it gets.
Vsync probably keeps it right below it's thermal threshold so that it doesn't overheat (or whatever actually happens).

Could you run a monitoring tool such as MSI Afterburner and run osu! at the same time to see what happens with the temperatures and clockspeeds?
That should, if nothing else, tell us if the issue is heat or not.
If it is cap your framerate and clean out your laptop (physically). Living in Australia sure doesn't help I'm afraid.(It's hot as hell there.)

Either way, it doesn't sound like an OS issue at all to me. Might be, but unlikely imo.

I have not tested that yet but I am running osu alright now on the 60fps (vsync) and in windowed, Have not tested fullscreen with 60fps(vsync yet though)
Topic Starter
KittensScythe

drum drum wrote:

Do you have a high CPU usage on your computer around the time the crashes happen?
Not that I could notice, though I managed to fix the problem with osu and unity 3d games but at the cost of over 60fps. I used Nvidia Control panel and put Vsync on for global settings for all applications and that seemed to fix it, though could of done it just for osu and unity 3d games to be honest.
VeilStar
I really recommend checking the load, temperatures & clockspeeds on your CPU & GPU when playing to try and figure out the root of this issue.
Enabling vsync is nothing more than a (bad) prevention, and not a fix.
Well, you might not experience as it being that bad, but that still doesn't make it good, I guess.

Anyway, unless you're absolutely fine with running vsync, try to dig a bit deeper to find the cause.
Karuta-_old_1
It shouldn't be an OS issue and I can assure you updating to windows 8.1 gets you no where other than more frustration

Have you tried resetting the settings in Nvidia driver, something really seemed off if a GTX760m cannot run osu! at 100fps

If you have the same problem with other program or games, you might really need to check whatever VeilStar had mentioned.

On a side note, are your rams differents and you have some random freeze during startup?