forum

[resolved] New computer but pretty low FPS, issue with optimus ?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Arnold0
Problem Details:

Hi,

I just got yesterday my new computer, but I'am having a pretty annoying issue. It's simple. No mater what I do, osu! will never run at more than 200 FPS. That may look realy high for you, and it is playable at 120FPS, but I'm pretty anoyed because 120FPS was what I used to get on my 6 years old Core2Duo with a GT9600M GS, but now I have an i7 4702MQ and a GT 750M... I have optimus on my new laptop, but I forced osu! to use the dedicated GPU on nVidia settings. If I look GPU usage with a tool I only see ~50% wich is realy low, I expected it to be at 100% since it seam to hit a FPS barrer but it is not.
Is it a bug in osu!, in optimus, or ossu! just want to use the intel GPU instead of the nVidia? Does someone with optimus have the same issue. If someone with optimus doesn't have this issue, what did he do to make it work correctly. Or is ~120-200 fps to be expected at 1920*1080 on a GT750M ?

Also, when I have osu! below other windows, fps drop dramaticaly to something like 35...

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

Why only 150 fps ?! :

Why the window make it drop to 35 ? :

osu! version: 20141016.4cuttingedge
TheVileOne
i7 on a laptop?

How can a laptop handle proper cooling? Perhaps it is underclocked just so the thing doesn't start melting due to inherent flaws associated with laptops. Also I should note that osu!'s internal structure is quite optimized. I don't know how much it takes advantage of multiple cores, if at all, but it gets the job done.

I don't have the knowledge to answer your question. It perplexes me why some hefty system specs get varying framerates. It is certainly not on osu's end that causes some systems to get better frames than others. How many frames you get is largely based on how your gpu handles frames. Can you disable this to figure out if you get better frames? I hate when companies integrate technology into their product and don't let you decide not to use it (hello Windows 8).
KinkiN

TheVileOne wrote:

i7 on a laptop?

How can a laptop handle proper cooling? Perhaps it is underclocked just so the thing doesn't start melting due to inherent flaws associated with laptops. Also I should note that osu!'s internal structure is quite optimized. I don't know how much it takes advantage of multiple cores, if at all, but it gets the job done.
nowadays it's quite usual, and the cooling is good too.

my friend are using i7 4700HQ and GTX 745M , and running smoothly i believe

you mentioned optimus. it's some kind of nvidia GPU accelerator, am i correct?
Full Tablet
Try using the integrated GPU instead of the GT 750M.

I guess the frame buffer transfer Optimus does from the Discrete GPU to the Integrated GPU bottlenecks the performance of the game (they aren't designed for applications that have a fps so high).

What are specifications of the GPUs according to this?: http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/
Topic Starter
Arnold0
The CPU is not under clocked, it is rated for 2,2GHz normal speed, and 3,2GHz turbo speed, and it goes easily to this :

I can't disable optimus, and if I uninstall the intel chipset I can't use the GPU (Even screen resolution is no longer 1920*1080 if I do this)
GPUz results :
For intel chipset :

For nVidia GPU :

If I force use the intel chipset the max FPS I get is like the same, but FPSs are much more unstable going from a bit below 120 to 180FPS, so it's far better when using the GPU because they don't move too much (~170-180ish).
I think because of the way optimus works, I'm probably stuck to 120fps... (I think it's better to have stable 120fps than unstable 170-180ish)
drum drum

TheVileOne wrote:

i7 on a laptop?

I don't have the knowledge to answer your question. It perplexes me why some hefty system specs get varying framerates. It is certainly not on osu's end that causes some systems to get better frames than others. How many frames you get is largely based on how your gpu handles frames. Can you disable this to figure out if you get better frames? I hate when companies integrate technology into their product and don't let you decide not to use it (hello Windows 8).
I'm using a laptop with i7 core... I still don't know what it's like to have an overheated computer either.

I'm going to take a shot in the dark, but try using just one of your GPUs with osu!
VeilStar
So I'll start off by saying that the 750m isn't quite an amazing GPU,
and that I wouldn't be surprised if this was about the normal framerate you'd get with it using about 50% GPU usage.
(I get about max 25% GPU usage per GPU on my 580s in SLI.
Though I guess I would get about 50% of a single GPU without SLI. So the same performance.)

As for the "drop to 35", this is quite normal when the osu! window isn't the main, selected window.
(It is however not normal if it drops to that if the osu! window is the main, selected window.)

As for optimus... Just select it to use your 750m all the time.
In your nVidia control panel, set it to be performance oriented.

Not sure what to say. I think this is more of a 'underpowered hardware' issue rather than a real issue.
I could be wrong though. That being said, what sort of performance do you get in other games?
Any kind of reference that this isn't ther performance you should be getting?

-Edit:
Sorry if this all sounded rather negative, I don't mean to be an ass, just wanted to let you know.
Full Tablet

VeilStar wrote:

So I'll start off by saying that the 750m isn't quite an amazing GPU,
and that I wouldn't be surprised if this was about the normal framerate you'd get with it using about 50% GPU usage.
(I get about max 25% GPU usage per GPU on my 580s in SLI.
Though I guess I would get about 50% of a single GPU without SLI. So the same performance.)

As for the "drop to 35", this is quite normal when the osu! window isn't the main, selected window.
(It is however not normal if it drops to that if the osu! window is the main, selected window.)

As for optimus... Just select it to use your 750m all the time.
In your nVidia control panel, set it to be performance oriented.

Not sure what to say. I think this is more of a 'underpowered hardware' issue rather than a real issue.
I could be wrong though. That being said, what sort of performance do you get in other games?
Any kind of reference that this isn't ther performance you should be getting?

-Edit:
Sorry if this all sounded rather negative, I don't mean to be an ass, just wanted to let you know.
I get about 750fps on 900p with an Intel GPU similar to his (HD Graphics 4000), he should get way higher than that with the Nvidia GPU.
Topic Starter
Arnold0
I don't know if it's realy related but I deleted some d3d9.dlland antilag.cfg used by the "d3d antilag" which peppy said causes issues and I got a bit more, even if it's not extremly hoigh it's a bit better. (To do the same effect as the anti lag I forced pre-rendered frames to 1 in nVidia settings)

:-)

EDIT :
In full screen instead of borderless, before it changed nothing, now Without the anti-lag :

That's more what I espected ! :-)
In full screen it now correctly use my GPU (100% Usage)

Tl;DR Dont use d3d antilag x)
TheVileOne
That thread has been removed. It is not a recommended nor supported solution.