forum

[resolved] Osu! Logo/Cookie 'Spamming' Bug

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
VeilStar
Edit: Welp. Seems to have been posted before. - t/249457
Thanks to Sulker for telling me. My bad.

Problem Details:
When searching for someone's name in-game, on the 4th character (and beyond that)
the big osu! logo/cookie starts spamming for no apparant reason.
This also causes my framerate to drop from about 300 to about 25.

Happens both in the latest Cutting Edge & Stable release streams for me.
I asked in #help chat if anyone could confirm if they had the same issue, however,
piruchan, Shirayuki and InstarCerem , couldn't replicate it on their side.
Yet I seem to be able to replicate it every time myself.

This happens both when music isn't playing aswell as when music is playing.
When music is playing the cookie/logo both spams and goes along with the beat. (It's quite an odd sight.)
I didn't show it with music playing in the video below to make it more apparant.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

(First part is in the Stable release stream. The second part is in the Cutting Edge release stream).

osu! version
Latest cutting edge: 20141018.1cuttingedge
& Latest stable: b20141015.1

More information
(Only Included was would be relevant in the slightest.)
-- osu! Settings --
Resolution: 1600x900 - (Doens't affect the issue.)
Mode: Windowed - (Doens't affect the issue.)
Renderer: DirectX - (DOES affect the issue; Doesn't happen in OpenGL.)
Frame Limiter: Unlimited & 120fps - (Doens't affect the issue.)
(Depending on what I'm doing I change from one to the other.)

-- PC Specifications --
Resolution: 1920x1080
GPU: Nvidia GTX 580s (SLI) - (SLI doens't affect the issue.)

Edits; Additional information and minor spelling corrections.
Antiforte
Cannot be replicated when a song is playing (paused or not). Please check if this bug only works if there is no music.

If you are highly sure that your osu! has not been modified in any way (skins excluded), it might be that something else that osu! runs on may be modified or it may be just a hardware-related bug.
Topic Starter
VeilStar

InstarCerem wrote:

Cannot be replicated when a song is playing (paused or not). Please check if this bug only works if there is no music.
Works bith with and without music playing for me.
When music is playing it both goes along with the beat AND spams randomly. Quite odd

I didn't have music playing in the video to make it more apparant.
Will add this information to the main post.
Antiforte
Strange...

Since both cutting edge and standard are affected, it may be either a problem with software that osu! runs on, or it may be a hardware bug.

If possible, attempt using osu! on another computer. If it runs fine, then your software might be the root. For the hardware however, it may be considered if either it is affected with similar hardware or if it is not affected on completely different hardware.

Based on your updated information, DirectX apparently doesn't work for replication either (because I have it open on default).
Topic Starter
VeilStar

InstarCerem wrote:

If you are highly sure that your osu! has not been modified in any way (skins excluded), it might be that something else that osu! runs on may be modified or it may be just a hardware-related bug.
My osu! hasn't been modified in any way (skins exluded, of course).
I tried both SLI and single-GPU. Also tried turning off Dxtory (overlays an FPS counter).

InstarCerem wrote:

Since both cutting edge and standard are affected, it may be either a problem with software that osu! runs on, or it may be a hardware bug.
My guess is that it's a software related issue.
More specifically an odd bug in the code that spams the same action over and over again instead of once.
Not that I know alot about coding though. Pretty much a guess on what I've seen so far.

InstarCerem wrote:

If possible, attempt using osu! on another computer. If it runs fine, then your software might be the root. For the hardware however, it may be considered if either it is affected with similar hardware or if it is not affected on completely different hardware.
Afraid that's not possible, however,
as all the people that have tried to replicate it so far could not replicate it
I'm assuming it's one of these odd bugs that only happen on specific hardware/software combinations.
TheVileOne
I can confirm that the cookie behaves strangely when the framerate changes.
peppy
Resolved in a duplicate thread.