forum

[resolved] Osu! mania on touchscreen (tablet PC)

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +110
Topic Starter
Sarah Katherine
I want to add a new feature (or an enable/disable option) and for mania: the ability to play osu! mania on touchscreen PC.

When enable this option (or don't need to enable if this's a default feature), the mania button is able to touch (or able to "click", since on touchscreen, each touch registers a mouse click).
Even though I can connect a keyboard to tablet PC, and touchscreen laptop already has a keyboard, but I still req. this because, I tapping on screen with mania give me a better feeling (I mean playing experience).

And so, If you're adding this to game, please enlarge the mania button, because the current size is a bit small for finger to make an accurately hit.
Bara-
How?
Some maps have 3+ notes at the same time
How are you going to hit ALL of those?
FrzR
Inb4 touchscreen is horrible for osu! *runs
Lach

baraatje123 wrote:

How?
Most touchscreens have 10 touch points. The support to read those inputs would obviously have to be added.

This is a cool idea, and some people have done it with other games before. Having a grid the size of the "keys" that issue keystrokes like a keyboard when a touch within the grid is registered. One of the biggest issues would be the lag for the touch input, at the end of the chain it would likely be no less than 30ms for most capacitive touchscreens on the market these days.

edit: I'd love to see this.
Topic Starter
Sarah Katherine

Fr33z3R wrote:

Inb4 touchscreen is horrible for osu! *runs
I think it's not horrible at all, but the problem is the lag affect.

baraatje123 wrote:

How?
Map have 4+ note at the same time will be hard if playing with one hand, otherwise it will be ok because of multi-touch screen.

I also want to have multi-hit (2 or more note at same time) with normal osu!, but soon I realize that idea will really ruins the game, so I pass it away and only request on Mania.
FrzR
Not all tablet PCs support this kind of "key roll over". So I'm not sure this would work on most tablet PCs imo.
akitoApocalypse
A tablet is just not the same as a keyboard since there is no border and stuff like that for your fingers. And think how awkward it would be if half of the screen was your fingers and you would have to tower over the tablet while it was lying on a table, and almost no room to see the keys to hit.
Maybe taiko would be good for tablet since it only needs like two keys, but osu mania requires way too many keys.
Topic Starter
Sarah Katherine

MrSurvivor wrote:

A tablet is just not the same as a keyboard since there is no border and stuff like that for your fingers. And think how awkward it would be if half of the screen was your fingers and you would have to tower over the tablet while it was lying on a table, and almost no room to see the keys to hit.
Maybe taiko would be good for tablet since it only needs like two keys, but osu mania requires way too many keys.
If the keys are bigger or have some space between them, maybe there will be okay.
Since the note come from the top, I think ưe can still abe to sê the note.
I think the only problem here is: some tablets only support 5-point multi-touch, so map with 6+ note at the same time is hard to play (but I haven't see any map like that yet)
Sea_Food

MrSurvivor wrote:

1. You can edit spacing in o!m skins
2. There are countless rythm games for touch screen devises and i have not had a problem seeing the screen under my fingers. In many games yes but not those typical rythm games. Maybe if u have fat fingers and a 2inch screen but if i keep my fingertips avobe the bottom of the screen then 90% is still visible which is enough.

That said just play with urkeyboard. No support.
Megpoi
well my Asus T100AF runs osu! on all modes at 250FPS so depending on what kind of tablet you use, the lag should be a burden to this. If it is an option that can be enabled and disabled, it gives the tabletPC a choice. like other functions that are already on osu! some functions are automatically disabled when your pc cannot support it. We can do the same for tablet PC. If the tabPC can handle 10 points at a time it will automatically be enabled for mania only. If it cannot, it will automatically be disabled, but given a choice, the user can switch it on if the pc can handle 5 points at once so that the player can play mania mode with 5k or 4k mod on. Also if the pc can handle the lag it will automatically be switched on... otherwise it would be disabled. I think they should add this mode into beta so that this request wouldn't only be theory based, but rather tested and approved otherwise rejected because the tablet pcs cannot handle it. To test it on multiple Tabletpc will also tell you the performance required and the improvement needed to proceed and make it official feature on osu!
M0ntell024
Sorry for making a duplicate. Actually I search those keywords...
-Maus-
Now imagine playing 5* 4k maps, rip your tablet.
Kakes
It would be difficult to use and there would be quite a bit of input delay, but I could see it working.
I don't think many people would use it, though.
karma_komodo
WE NEED THIS
Piano tiles is horrible
Bara-
I now agree with this, as a Love Live! School Idol Festival player (that game is similar to mania 9K, for mobile/iOs) and it works great
Though not all maps will be properly playable
Rilene
Sounds nice to have one.
Plush
I used to play Tap Tap Revenge, Deemo, and other things like that mania but with touch input. Trust me, I cannot play osu! mania almost at all just because I cannot feel it even though I play not quite badly on those touch games. Was thinking to support this! BUT I think it would be harder if the maps are fast, because touch is wayyyy slower than clicking/pressing your keyboard. Well, we just need to get used to it.
[Kanzaki Ranko]

Bara- wrote:

I now agree with this, as a Love Live! School Idol Festival player (that game is similar to mania 9K, for mobile/iOs) and it works great
Though not all maps will be properly playable
mania would need a large UI revamp to get anywhere close to LLSIF, though.

Either way, as osu! is a Windows game, I could see this working (as most touchscreen PCs have at least 11' screens). About the input lag, the offset can be calibrated (and a visual offset feature, where the notes appear earlier than judged) could be implemented.
LyonsT
If mouse buttons are enabled you can use a desktop touchscreen to click the keys, not sure about tablet.
D3aco

Bara- wrote:

How?
my touchscreen can have 10 inputs at a time
Adri
Not a game breaker so why not ^^
ZeroxPlaysOsu
I may have misunderstood the request but, we can already play mania with a touchscreen. Iv'e tried it a while back and it worked fine.
show more