forum

[Archived] Framerate drops dramatically, but only when playing CTB

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Noffy
Problem Details:
Usually osu! runs at around 180fps for me, and it stays very consistent in this for most modes. Except CTB, when it frequently drops down to 10fps and makes the game feel like it is freezing. It has a tendency to to this more often at the start of Kiai times so I've tried making the stars 1x1 images, but this didn't help. This issue makes CTB, my second favorite mode, nearly unplayable. I've tried changing the framerate limiters, going bare-bones in the skin, and the resolution. It is always very fast, going back up to it's normal speed before I can screenshot it. This issue makes CTB feel very.. jittery. I use Windows 8.1, if that's related.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
Unfortunately, I can't really make a video since using a screen recorder use up computer power and, of course, push down the osu! framerate.

osu! version: 20140814.1 (latest)
R3DxFOX
You have a couple of options.
1. Disable shader effects from options.
2. Try OpenGL (works for some), or DirectX
3. Update .NET Framework http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17851
4. Clean your computer from viruses (this is rarely the case, but can certainly help sometimes).

FPS drops like this can also usually be your processor, Are you over-clocking it? Try to keep it at default clocks to see if that helps. I had all my games lack like crazy until I disabled my clocks.

Hope you find a solution soon!

- R3D
Topic Starter
Noffy

R3DxFOX wrote:

3. Update .NET Framework http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17851
4. Clean your computer from viruses (this is rarely the case, but can certainly help sometimes).

FPS drops like this can also usually be your processor, Are you over-clocking it? Try to keep it at default clocks to see if that helps. I had all my games lack like crazy until I disabled my clocks.

- R3D
Hopefully a different solution, since unfortunately none of those seem to have any effect. Thanks for the help though!
Except I didn't try the clocking you were talking about, as I'm not really sure what that means or how to do it. It's only CTB that has this issue though, so is it still possible that's the problem even though it is the only thing affected?
R3DxFOX

dorothy3242 wrote:

R3DxFOX wrote:

- R3D
Hopefully a different solution, since unfortunately none of those seem to have any effect. Thanks for the help though!
Except I didn't try the clocking you were talking about, as I'm not really sure what that means or how to do it. It's only CTB that has this issue though, so is it still possible that's the problem even though it is the only thing affected?
Damn, sorry non of them worked. :/

- R3D
drum drum
Since kiai likes to flash hit lighting at you, that could be the issue rather than just the stars.
Hit lighting can be disabled from the options menu

Topic Starter
Noffy

R3DxFOX wrote:

Damn, sorry non of them worked. :/

- R3D
Thanks for all the suggestions though! If a similar issue ever starts up again I'll keep them in mind.

drum drum wrote:

Since kiai likes to flash hit lighting at you, that could be the issue rather than just the stars.
Hit lighting can be disabled from the options menu
Oh! I hadn't thought of that! This seems to have fixed it, thank you tons! Now I can play CTB again :)