forum

[EDITOR] Widescreen / rectangle area?

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
NazzzF
I've gotten used to play on widescreen resolution and mapping in square(4:3?) area is hard/uncomfortable.

Why is it still squares anyway? Most people play in widescreen res nowadays so i would like this to be an option
Oinari-sama
If the map is made for widescreen resolution, how are you going to handle 4:3 players? Scale the object distances? That'll be unfair to other players.
Rizumu Tenshi

Oinari-sama wrote:

If the map is made for widescreen resolution, how are you going to handle 4:3 players? Scale the object distances? That'll be unfair to other players.
No, osu! can just turn itself 16:9 with a letterbox. Just like Kirby's Adventure Wii/Kirby's Return to Dreamland would do when the TV's aspect ratio is 4:3.

btw, I really wished for this...16:9 is now a standard, so beatmaps have to be 16:9 too.

NazzzF wrote:

I've gotten used to play on widescreen resolution and mapping in square(4:3?) area is hard/uncomfortable.
True dat--today's mapping styles may need a bigger canvas, so 16:9 would be REALLY great. Also some songs can't look good with such a canvas so we need a bigger one. Let the supporters promote this once ready.
Topic Starter
NazzzF

Oinari-sama wrote:

If the map is made for widescreen resolution, how are you going to handle 4:3 players? Scale the object distances?
The current ones do have scale for object distance(?) Mapped in 4:3 but scaled nicely for widescreen plays. It can be viceversa for the editor..
WingSilent
Sounds interesting.

But i'm thinking...
Oinari-sama

Baka Tenshi wrote:

No, osu! can just turn itself 16:9 with a letterbox. Just like Kirby's Adventure Wii/Kirby's Return to Dreamland would do when the TV's aspect ratio is 4:3.

btw, I really wished for this...16:9 is now a standard, so beatmaps have to be 16:9 too.
Black bars at top/bottom for 4:3? That's one way of dealing with it... wish to hear from opinions from non-widescreen players.
Vuelo Eluko
can't see how this would work.
TheVileOne
The playing field needs to conform to everyone. I play with a 4:3 screen and I can't fathom squishing a widescreen playing field into a square. I still play with 800 x 600 resolution. I'm a dying breed but it is a preference.

If I'm misunderstanding anything, inform me.
Topic Starter
NazzzF

TheVileOne wrote:

The playing field needs to conform to everyone. I play with a 4:3 screen and I can't fathom squishing a widescreen playing field into a square. I still play with 800 x 600 resolution. I'm a dying breed but it is a preference.

Im not asking to change the playing field, leave it as it is. Im talking about the editor mapping area being a 4:3 aspect ratio

Riince wrote:

Then ask yourself how the current system work? How did all the 4:3 map can be played in 16:9 resolution without adding border and stuff. And why cant map that is mapped in 16:9 cant be played in 4:3?

It's all about scaling.. Not forcing stuff to be widescreen.
Rizumu Tenshi

NazzzF wrote:

TheVileOne wrote:

Im not asking to change the playing field, leave it as it is. Im talking about the editor mapping area being a 4:3 aspect ratio

Riince wrote:

Then ask yourself how the current system work? How did all the 4:3 map can be played in 16:9 resolution without adding border and stuff. And why cant map that is mapped in 16:9 cant be played in 4:3?

It's all about scaling.. Not forcing stuff to be widescreen.
But then..the storyboard. If beatmaps are widescreen, storyboards are forced to be 720p? Or just widescreen but same rankable height? I'd say 720p...if peppy finds it okay.
_koinuri
There are no scaling done for 4:3 -> 16:9 resolution. If you play an old map that has 4:3 bg without widescreen support, you'll notice that none of the objects goes to the area blocked off. You can also turn on widescreen support on that map to make sure they don't scale. They just don't add unnecessary border to make it obvious that the playfield is in 4:3. (just my guess, correct me if I'm wrong)

I don't think squishing 16:9 resolution to 4:3 the same way will work well because the sides uses more space than top and bottom (scoreboards and key press). If we downscale further to avoid overlaps with scoreboard and key press, playfield will look really squished and wide, it'll look unnatural (probably going to be something like half of top and bottom unused).

4:30AM post, probably sounds stupid
Rizumu Tenshi

-[Koinuri] wrote:

I don't think squishing 16:9 resolution to 4:3 the same way will work well because the sides uses more space than top and bottom (scoreboards and key press). If we downscale further to avoid overlaps with scoreboard and key press, playfield will look really squished and wide, it'll look unnatural (probably going to be something like half of top and bottom unused).
Then explain this:
This is the example game I've mentioned. That was how it looks when the TV is 4:3. This should be how 16:9 beatmaps will look like when the screen is 4:3. This is possible, the whole thing is peppy should look into this and tell us if it's possible or not.
_koinuri
The reason why I don't think it'll work with osu is because the scoreboard takes so much space on the side. I quickly made a picture of how much space each resolution might get. Red are places that can't have objects in it because they'll be overlapped by something, blue are possible playable area. I had to edit my 16:9 screenshot to 4:3 resolution because osu I can't change osu from full screen for some reason, so there might be something different for 4:3 I might not know.

Again, I never really saw osu in 4:3 resolution so there might be something I'm missing, I'm just assuming that the everything is the same except for the width.

If we did the symmetry version, 4:3 users will have less than half of the vertical side to use, as well as a lot of right side, which looks really ugly and small imo. The 16:9 thing works perfectly fine because the side is so occupied.

Well I'm sure peppy can come up with something better if he ever implement this
Rizumu Tenshi
Your skin is why there's so little space on the left.
Need I say more? Come back with the...default skin, then prove me wrong again.
_koinuri
Oh, I knew I was making some stupid mistake somewhere. I always do it >.>

It doesn't look as bad as before but I still find the spaces on top and bottom unnatural. 16:9 has the scoreboard filling the unused gap as well as buttons for replay. Things on top and bottom, on the other hand, are just wide and doesn't affect the verticals much, so the spaces will be more apparent.

I made a simple short map only using that section: https://www.dropbox.com/s/p63jwtf33wsnb ... t.osz?dl=0
I'm sure it'll convert a lot better if implemented, but it looks pretty squished down with tons of extra space to me
Flower
I'm strongly against this idea. As -[Koinuri] expressed, this feature will add 4:3 players an "integrated hardrock mode".

Besides, if we seek other compromises, the notes will be easily off-screen.
Cerulean Veyron
I would imagine mapping a huge jump by adding two 1/2 beat circles and moving them really far from together on a widescreen resolution... wow... is it passable to players? o_o
Rizumu Tenshi

Flower wrote:

I'm strongly against this idea. As -[Koinuri] expressed, this feature will add 4:3 players an "integrated hardrock mode".

Besides, if we seek other compromises, the notes will be easily off-screen.
You...you just made what he said easier to understand. I couldn't understand what he said...

If the idea results in a harder HardRock for 4:3 screens, you could've marked it the time you posted!
Shadowriver
Imo because map is 4:3, i makes it more readable and comfy on 16:9, because in 4:3 things are squshed and aspecially in multiplayer with scoreboard... not to mention team mode with scoreboards on both sides is quite annoying