forum

[osu!supporter] Multiple Menu Backgrounds

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +2,367
Topic Starter
Piine

Sulker wrote:

Okay, before I have manual raging and judgmental anguish in this post, or even calling of "DUPLICATE" or other certain callings, please remember this is just request. It may change depending on opinions of osu! users and skinners alike and only helps benefit the game itself further then it already has.
For TL:DR people.
Pretty much took multiple requests of menu-backgrounds and edit it based on my reasoning. Cool or not cool? Gimme some feedback to make this appeal better to the developers. If you give me something half-assed, I will throw you off the Empire State Building :)

Okay to start, I have seen a few post (or maybe multiple) of them referring to the menu-backgrounds peppy added two years back. [1]
Soon after that, we have gotten certain requests from wacky ones that ask to make menu-background free to upvoted one such as the "Dynamic backgrounds for the osu! main menu-background" which was requested by DaddyCoolVipper as well as "Random background distribution" which was requested by Melody-san.

I for one agree with Melody-san request seeing it did came close to my request, but I'm against DCV's request seeing it...
  1. Ruins one of the points of donating to osu! (Even though you are suppose to donate for being supportive)
  2. Files in song can be modified and be switched by players to their choosing.
Sorry DCV :(

My idea is somewhat similar to Melody-san and is only applied to supporters only! Sorry creams :(

General Idea

As the subject says, I wish for the support of multiple backgrounds to be added in the game. I find that we have multiple skinners that try to make their skin the best in the skinning sub-board, but sadly when adding a menu-background to their creation for supporter appeal, they can't pick over several good ones or even an issue in which the osu! cookie is blocking the character on the background. I already know peppy is entirely strict with the editation of the osu! cookie so why not the reason for adding multiple background for both the player's enjoyment as well as keeping the main developer's awe of his own creation.

How will it work?

deadbeat wrote:

menu-background-0.jpg, menu-background-1.jpg, menu-background-2.jpg, menu-background-3.jpg , menu-background-4.jpg
deadbeat actually gave me the idea of multiple menu- backgrounds files such as what is used to make animated back buttons that are used in multiple skins. I hoping this would go and work the same way. However, I also did not forget about the subject of the timing of the change between said menu-backgrounds.

I want to believe that peppy can go this way with this seeing from all the feedback I gotten from Drafura

Prime Suggestion wrote:

Just say screw everything I said in the old suggestions and make it change each time when we go back to the menu from multi-player or the solo song selection.
Old Suggestions

First Suggestion wrote:

By giving another purpose to the skin.ini and by adding a certain code into it in which osu! will notice that can make the menu-background timing of each different and customizable for all users! An example I could say would be like this code.
setbackgroundchange=300    ---    30 seconds till next background for each one.
Maybe we can use milliseconds as measure of change between backgrounds.

Second Suggestion wrote:

Letting peppy do the work and making the change between multiple menu-backgrounds go by 30 to 60 seconds. Still like the first suggestion seeing I don't want to make peppy work harder into the code of the game itself. (If something actually breaks that is..)

Feedback

I am wishing for a lot of feedback from skinners and players alike. Anything you want me to tweak in this post, please tell me. I just want this to be an addition to the game itself.

Oh and you may want to check out Fr33z3R & Nath idea's of adjusting cookie opacity on the osu!cookie. May work side by side with this.
Lach
I can see how it would work, but why is it needed? It doesn't really make sense to add something like this to a game where you shouldn't be staring at the menu to begin with. It's not like it's a media player (I suppose it already has visualizations, so you could almost consider it one, now). On the flip side, I suppose it would be nice having a different image every time you return to the main screen, for whatever reason that may be.

But why?

DUPLICATE
Topic Starter
Piine
Really based on skinning themes. Usually most pictures are blocked by the osu!cookie so if there multiple menu-backgrounds, if there multiple characters of the skin theme they are using, they can use each character for it own multiple background.

Example. Mirai Nikki skin. A background for each character just to make it more better instead of a one clumped with each character.
Nathanael
A single menu background is enough for me. I would prefer setting the cookie opacity to a fixed value like 70-80%.
FrzR

Nathanael wrote:

A single menu background is enough for me. I would prefer setting the cookie opacity to a fixed value like 70-80%.
Opacity. Yes.
Stefan

Nathanael wrote:

Good god why haven't you requested This yet? D:

About OP Request: I wouldn't have much use by that personally.
Drafura
I like this idea, having a set of backgrounds allow skinners to put more than one BG related to their skin, but... I don't really like the idea of a timer. Third idea is way better imo, you just get a new random BG each time you come back to the menu (or launch osu!).

I don't like the idea of a timer cause it could make people starring at the menu as said in the topic. Also a timer based on something less than a minute would be ridiculous imo, think about this:
setbackgroundchange=1
Topic Starter
Piine

Drafura wrote:

I like this idea, having a set of backgrounds allow skinners to put more than one BG related to their skin, but... I don't really like the idea of a timer. Third idea is way better imo, you just get a new random BG each time you come back to the menu (or launch osu!).

I don't like the idea of a timer cause it could make people starring at the menu as said in the topic. Also a timer based on something less than a minute would be ridiculous imo, think about this:
setbackgroundchange=1
Hmm. I can agree to this then.
shavit
PM me if it won't be marked as invalid, I'll vote 102 stars.
Topic Starter
Piine

Shavit-sama wrote:

PM me if it won't be marked as invalid, I'll vote 102 stars.
May be a while if it gets invalid. You can go ahead lol. I plan on continuing to edit the post.

May remove timing idea and just use what Drafura and I thought.
Eizan Arizawa
I will support osu! if this gonna be implemented

Sulker wrote:

Drafura wrote:

setbackgroundchange=1
Hmm. I can agree to this then.
Same with you :D
Topic Starter
Piine
Well I updated the post. Hopefully it should be up to date.
Pawsu

Nathanael wrote:

deadbeat
despite being the one who said that, i don't really support sorry. mainly cause i'm perfectly happy with 1 BG
FrzR

deadbeat wrote:

despite being the one who said that, i don't really support sorry. mainly cause i'm perfectly happy with 1 BG
We have different opinions. There is always that toggle option. lol
shavit
Supported
TheVileOne
This is a worthy suggestion. I don't consider it invalid. Many people will want to have this option.
Topic Starter
Piine

Shavit-sama wrote:

Supported
Thanks for the support and thanks for saying that Vile. Means alot :D
Topic Starter
Piine
Poking this idea for more discussion. Any feedback will be kind as Well as a reason.
SuddenlyBruno
Good Idea! +2
[ Pingu ]
Added for 4 votes. Well done Sulker for an amazing suggestion.
KinkiN

Shavit-sama wrote:

Supported
wow you have my wow o/ i see starssssss

OT : so it would be like a slideshow menu background? cmiiw

anyways have my no-star supports \:D/ TAT
Topic Starter
Piine

Yuzuru wrote:

OT : so it would be like a slideshow menu background? cmiiw
anyways have my no-star supports \:D/ TAT
Well I was talking about it having timers, but meh, to much work and too much coding, so this would be a better idea.
shavit

Yuzuru wrote:

wow you have my wow o/ i see starssssss
that's IMAGINATION
Topic Starter
Piine
It surprising I am getting stars every day :o
show more