forum

[Taiko] Finish notes (Guideline)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
OnosakiHito

Taiko Ranking Criteria wrote:

1. Finish notes
    Finish notes must not be in the middle or at the beginning in a 1/4 or above stream. At the end, finish streams may be allowed if there is a reasonable sound for it. Finisher notes at the end of a stream must have the opposite color of the previous note.
I talked with Tasha about this rule, and we came to the conclusion that it would be the best to move our last rule - the Finish notes - to guidelines as well.
Reason for this are some exceptional maps in Taiko which have a low BPM but a high SV (SV must look natural to the BPM) which make the patterns easier playable and look better.
Additional to this, we should add something into the current rule:
  1. Finish notes
    Finish notes must not be in the middle or at the beginning in a 1/4 or above stream. At the end, finish streams may be allowed if there is a reasonable sound for it and looks good and plays well. Finisher notes at the end of a stream must have the opposite color of the previous note.
(probably this can be formed in a better way)

Does anyone have something to add to this topic? In general the rule remains untouched; it's just moved to guidelines. That's all. So I would rather not give it so much discussion time.
Nashmun
I personally disagree with this. When we first officially authorized Finish note in 1/4, we saw this pattern in almost every taiko maps and even in unreasonable ways. Adding this rule to guideline aswell will result in the same issue : Overuse of finish note in 1/4 streams for no apparent reason, with people saying : "It's only a guideline and to me it totally fits". Taiko ranking criteria as it is now is way too subjective and that's why we have a lot of crappy maps being ranked. (And this is not the BATs fault).

More generally I think we need more rules and less guidelines (Like at least 1 complete beat between a note and a slider (start or end) for easiest difficulties) but I'm starting to be a bit off topic so I'll end this now.
Topic Starter
OnosakiHito
Guidelines are important and should be followed in most maps. However, they are NOT rules, so they may be broken in special cases.
Our special case is if it sounds, plays and looks good, even though the SV has been changed. guidelines are not rules, but they actually function as one after all. Hence, no BAT has to rank a map if it doesn't follow the guideline.
Nashmun
I know how guidelines works, but too many people break them saying "it's just a guideline, whatever.". The fact is that of lot of map breaking guidelines are being ranked. Also I don't see the problem in having some rules you cannot break in order to have your map ranked. It's not like I want tons of rules, but between no rules and a lots of rules there is a big step.
Topic Starter
OnosakiHito
That's not true Nashmun. If you want we can discuss this in #taiko, but not here.
Loctav
You should have a bit more faith in the modding process. Maps are not only supposed to be "rankable only" and can be also unranked if a map has been ranked with an unreasonable violation of a given guideline.
POONwing
I don't see people will abuse this though
God of Taiko
I don't think ppl will abuse it, lol.

I honestly believe that all rules should be applied to maps below 10* because I can understand that we must have a lot of maps suited for beginners where rules are very necessary for those maps to remain newbie-friendly and for the learning curve to be not so steep. But when it comes to normal maps like 10* and above it is much better to have a lot of guidelines written by experienced mappers so on 1 hand we have advice from skillful mappers and on the other hand - creativity of a person.
Topic Starter
OnosakiHito
Well, for now it will be kept as it is. Change denided.
(many people were against it anyway)