forum

Reverse Alignment

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
DFLT
Sometimes I change a section in my beatmap and I have to highlight a huge section which comes after that, and move it to compensate, not to mention sometimes doing this means I have to change even more to make sure it all fit's in the play area.

Wouldn't it be convenient if I could just select the area that I just edited plus what came beforehand and hold a button that would let me place it in orientation to the next circle instead of the previous one?

For example I would highlight circles 2, 3 and 4, hit the button that would enable reverse orientation, and then I can place it at the correct distance from circle number 5 instead of circle number 1 (or course it would make a lot more sense if I included circle number 1, but for this case I needed to point out that the previous circle doesn't matter :P)

Summary: Distance snap 1 or more circles/sliders based on the orientation of the circle/slider which comes after the highlighted group, instead of the previous circle/slider
akrolsmir
So essentially a way to enable distance snap, but for the upcoming note instead of from the previous one? Certainly something I've wished for before.
Topic Starter
DFLT

akrolsmir wrote:

So essentially a way to enable distance snap, but for the upcoming note instead of from the previous one? Certainly something I've wished for before.
exactly, I feel it could be of great convenience to many people
theowest
well this is quite simple, I like it!
Sakura
Why would you map backwards? aligning a note so that it's distance snapped with the next one instead of the previous one would break the distance snap from the previous one (unless it's a jump of some sort). In exactly what percentages of situations would this be useful? How often does this happen to you?

DLFT wrote:

Sometimes I change a section in my beatmap and I have to highlight a huge section which comes after that, and move it to compensate, not to mention sometimes doing this means I have to change even more to make sure it all fit's in the play area.
I don't quite get this scenario, since i've never needed to highlight a huge section after changing something back in the map, and normally i dont see the problem with doing that
Shiirn
Coming from someone who actually maps (cough sakura), I'd say this is actually a fairly useful thought. I originally didn't think it would be that useful, then I realized how often I actually did "map backwards" - you make a nice pattern, then realize a note in the center isn't aligned right. Usually I just use grid4 to get as close to the distance snap I want, but for some people it might be easier or more natural to do this sort of thing.

Support.
mm201
I'm certain this has been requested before...
Structured mapping very often requires mapping bits out of order to make them all fit together. I use the distance spacing indicator more often than distance snap itself, but I can still agree with the usefulness.

But how should the interface work? Hold down a key? Is Ctrl used for anything yet?
Gabi
http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/15991/hilit=+distance+snap

didn't read all, but im guessing it's the same as this ^?

Edit; Maybe not i hardly get the thread i linked lol.
Shiirn
I think that it's far enough over the statute of limitations for a new, fresh look at the idea.
Azure_Kite
Control as a toggle isn't used for anything yet in the editor, no.
those
Up to this point I've either reversed and reversed again, or turned off distance snap and done it myself. A distance snap prev. and distance snap next would be nice.
Topic Starter
DFLT

Sakura wrote:

Why would you map backwards? aligning a note so that it's distance snapped with the next one instead of the previous one would break the distance snap from the previous one (unless it's a jump of some sort). In exactly what percentages of situations would this be useful? How often does this happen to you?

DLFT wrote:

I don't quite get this scenario, since i've never needed to highlight a huge section after changing something back in the map, and normally i dont see the problem with doing that
Happens to me about maybe once an hour of mapping.

Think of it this way, the song has a trail of circles and sliders going all over like a beatmap should. You decide the stream that goes from the bottom left of the screen to the top left isn't that fun so you decide to make it a few short sliders with reverse arrows instead. Now you have a pretty big gap between where the sliders end and where the stream used to end. You could highlight everything that comes after that and slide it all down, but in that case anything near the bottom of the screen before will be off the screen now, so you will have to change even more. Now let's assume that right before where the stream used to be, there were only 9 or 10 circles/sliders that came before it, but also came after either the start of a song, a large gap between 2 circles to accentuate music and doesn't follow distance snap, or a spinner (in all these situations, those 9 or 10 circles/sliders could start anywhere) so if you could just highlight them and reverse align them, it would take only a few seconds.

Also same situation but when you notice a single circle or slider is misplace, sometimes it would be take less time to just adjust that circle/slider plus whatever came before it than everything that comes after.
Sakura
Your situation sounds like something that would happen like once every millenium, to avoid this from happening it's recommended to playtest often until you are happy with your section, remapping is always an option as well.

In either case i'm neutral about this, i don't mind if it gets implemented, i just worry that it may be a hassle to do and it may not help many people or situations
D33d
Actually, this happens to me from time to time as well. It's a case of adding an extra object to or before a pattern--sometimes it's the start of a section, sometimes it's filling in the rhythm a bit. There's no real reason not to have this as a feature, as long as it can be implemented easily.

DEEDIT: Also, I don't think that CTRL and drag is used for anything. Even then, another modifier could be used with ALT I'm sure.
mm201
Alt disables grid snap already, and it can be used in conjunction with distance snap.