forum

Pause Menu: A metronome-ed resume

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +4
Topic Starter
Tenacious J
I would like to re-approach this problem mentioned here: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=51304&hilit=pause

Kecco wrote:

A lot of times, during the gameplay of a beatmap, we are forced to pause for whatever reason, but when we resume playing by clicking the cursor, a lot of times we fail because we can't pick up the same rhythm as before.
Though MY thoughts to address such problems are as follows. When resuming songs, have players mouse over the orange cursor. As soon as the he/she does, the metronome - ticking to current beat rate specified by the beatmap - ticks off in a "1... 2... 1,2,3,4" sort of fashion or something similar to that. (It doesn't HAVE to be metronome) After "4" the song resumes. But if the user mouses away from the orange cursor while ticking, ticking stops and stays paused. I'm thinking which is better: normal counting or counting down to your resume? I'll let your imagination kick in when dealing with pausing offbeat.

Of course keep the counter-cheating functions active like "Please wait 2 seconds before pausing again".

I know retrying the song helps us avoid such confusion and we're sometimes afraid to hit the continue button but I just thought I would make resuming songs a little more convenient.
Kitsunemimi
Very good idea. Though what you're suggesting (or what I'm interpreting from your suggestion) is a metronome counter that counts down to 0 relative to the time the player paused. Instead what it should do is tick on the beats of the song a few seconds prior to pausing, and resume when the metronome has reached the part of the stanza that the player has paused in.

In other words, if the player has paused 3/4ths of a beat in, your method would mean that the pause metronome will tick relative to this 3/4 beat mark, possibly making it awkward when continuing. What I suggest is, even if the player is paused 3/4ths of a beat in, the metronome would only tick on full 1/1 beats, and resume while the metronome has reached 3/4ths of the final beat. It's not necessarily a count down timer, but instead, a method of resuming rhythm before gameplay starts again.

Now the problem with this method is that players can't rely on the metronome to know exactly when they'll resume. Since the metronome would already be ticking, a visual cue would be required instead. A small pie/circular progress bar next to the cursor should work.
Azure_Kite
When I read the topic title, I thought briefly of the system used in osu!stream, where, when a song is resumed, there is a countdown from three beats, then it replays.

I could imagine a similar/identical countdown will help with these sorts of issues, as well. You may not have the precise rhythm down (It'd be difficult/pointless to countdown to the rhythm, beats are where it's at) but this will let you know EXACTLY when it's time to start playing again.
winber1
idk, there just isn't a good way to solve this problem. if you're starting offbeat, it's basically the same as not even having a metronome if this metronome is just going to count quarter notes or something since it won't help at all. the only thing i can think of is if osu! somehow rewinded the song to the nearest quarter note or something, but that's just stupid lol >_>

When I pause the game and want to resume, I basically just study the approach circles use just deductive reasoning to kinda understand what rhythm I'm supposed to play. This is for breaks of like 30 seconds or less. I really don't see a point of just leaving osu! paused in the middle of a song to go and do laundry or something. And anyways, chances are that if you are trying to set a record, you most likely would not pause the game in the middle of a note lol.

edit: well, if you're someone who actually does leave osu! paused to go do other stuff for long lengths of time, then the metronome will help you remember the beat... but not help that much resuming the song imo. a countdown to when the song will resume probably makes more sense.
Topic Starter
Tenacious J

Kitsunemimi wrote:

Very good idea. Though what you're suggesting (or what I'm interpreting from your suggestion) is a metronome counter that counts down to 0 relative to the time the player paused. Instead what it should do is tick on the beats of the song a few seconds prior to pausing, and resume when the metronome has reached the part of the stanza that the player has paused in.
Right on! That's exactly what I was trying to suggest. It's hard to word it out. x.x It doesn't HAVE to be a metronome tick, it's just an idea.

Kitsunemimi wrote:

In other words, if the player has paused 3/4ths of a beat in, your method would mean that the pause metronome will tick relative to this 3/4 beat mark, possibly making it awkward when continuing. What I suggest is, even if the player is paused 3/4ths of a beat in, the metronome would only tick on full 1/1 beats, and resume while the metronome has reached 3/4ths of the final beat. It's not necessarily a count down timer, but instead, a method of resuming rhythm before gameplay starts again.

Now the problem with this method is that players can't rely on the metronome to know exactly when they'll resume. Since the metronome would already be ticking, a visual cue would be required instead. A small pie/circular progress bar next to the cursor should work.
Good thinking! That would certainly help let the player know exactly when to resume. I use the pie progress bar all the time at the start of songs, maybe the same thing can be done on resumes.

winber1 wrote:

idk, there just isn't a good way to solve this problem. if you're starting offbeat, it's basically the same as not even having a metronome if this metronome is just going to count quarter notes or something since it won't help at all. the only thing i can think of is if osu! somehow rewinded the song to the nearest quarter note or something, but that's just stupid lol >_>
Rewinding would be awesome but sounds like something that would be exploited. How about taking advantage of features that are already in osu! like the Edit Mode's beat/measure counter to help calculate how many beats should tick - with a visual (pie/circular progress bar) cue - before resume. Say someone decided to pause at the third beat of a measure at 4/4 time. Mouse over orange cursor, "1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2..." (resume at 3). How about pausing at beat 3 at 3/4 (Waltz) time? "1, 2, 3, 1, 2,-" (resume at 3). Get me? Though to resume at the exact timing is gonna be the hard part in making this feature, takes some math.

Oh and how about a toggle?
GladiOol
an osu! beatmap is meant to be played in a single run, not with pausing inbetween.

Therefor I'm not supporting this.
Swiftwolf Yellowtail
Then why add the pause button? Why not just replace it with a retry button?
Wassaaaa
I favor, it would be simpler and would take you by surprise, in the guitar heros are well
Xact
It makes sense but at the same time i agree with above, its meant to be played through without breaks like that or otherwise pause during one of the in-map breaks which is what I always do if needed. Some how, I can see someone out there finding a way to abuse it, that's just how it goes

Swiftwolf Yellowtail wrote:

Then why add the pause button? Why not just replace it with a retry button?
Pause during breaks that are in most maps (or during a spinner)
Topic Starter
Tenacious J

winber1 wrote:

I basically just study the approach circles use just deductive reasoning to kinda understand what rhythm I'm supposed to play.
Let's not forget there are Hidden mod users out there. Me for one.